As my first year comes to an end, I would like to thank everyone for the opportunity to chronicle my experiences as an academic librarian. I look forward to my second year beginning and welcoming the students back to campus. In the meantime, here are the highlights of what I have learned so far:
- When in doubt, ask questions – especially at the beginning.
- Find a mentor – a librarian with more experience can provide a lot of guidance.
- Take time to talk to the students and youâ€™ll be surprised how much you learn.
- Keep up with the rest of the library community: read professional publications, blogs, attend conferences, and more.
- Make friends with faculty members who can act as mentors and support for your library programs.
- Be open to trying new technologies and listening to new ideas.
- Library school did not teach me everything, and learning on the job is a continuation of the learning process.
2 thoughts on “Year Two Begins Soon”